Thursday, May 31, 2012

WTJU and the Offline Pushback -- Epilogue

Yesterday I shared my story of the listener who will no longer listen to our radio station because I mention the website too often. (WTJU and the Offline Pushback -- Part 2)

The post elicited some interesting responses. One reader was thrilled to discover that WTJU had an archive of shows (wtju.net/vault). I've mentioned it several times on air, but it was reading the information online that did the trick. Call it another benefit of being online, I suppose. While I announce that information often on the air, if you're not listening the moment I do so, it's as if I never said anything at all. Links in feeds, though, are there whenever the reader gets to them.

The best overall comment about all this came from a colleague of mine at another station. During a Twitter discussion of the post he reminded me of an important concept of broadcasting.

"One caller represents the views of... one caller."

The responses from folks on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ were all positive. Many expressed amazement (or was that amusement) that well into the 21st Century someone's dead-set against any of that interwebtubes stuff.

But of course, the response group was self-selecting. Because anyone who shared my ex-listener's viewpoint would never see the post, because they avoid going online.

I regularly say on air, "If you're only listening to us on the radio, I think you're only getting half the WTJU experience." In this case, my ex-listener and those like her missed the entire conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment