Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lio and Garfield

As I've mentioned in previous posts,  Mark Tatulli's Lio isn't my favorite comic strip. But it's one I've grown to appreciate. This particular sequence struck me because it resonates with my own feelings about Garfield. (click on image to enlarge)



When Jim Davis' strip first came out, it was a fresh take on the subject of man and pet. Garfield wasn't particularly cute or loveable -- he bullied Odie, he was selfish and self-centered, and he didn't think much of his owner, either. Soon, though, the edge softened and what was once cutting edge became comfortable and familiar.

So, yeah. If Garfield disappeared tomorrow (say, in a spider's web), I wouldn't be too upset. And we'd end up with something similar to Garfield Without Garfield, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment