|The Cragstan HO scale F3, made by Nomura.|
I knew that Cragstan imported HO train sets made by Nomura under their own brand. There seem to be a few variations of them, but they're mostly cosmetic. The sets I've found so far have the same basic components:
- HO scale Santa Fe diesel, modeled after the F3
- 2 box/stock cars
- 12 sections of HO sectional track, making an oval
- a power pack powered by 2 batteries
|Fig. 1: Rolling stock from two different Nomura sets. |
The older of the two is on the bottom.
- Tan Santa Fe stock car and silver Santa Fe refrigerator car (Fig. 1)
- Burgundy Mobilgas automobile car and green Santa Fe refrigerator car
- 2 silver Santa Fe passenger cars (figure 2)
|Fig. 2: Nomura passenger cars. The bodies are the same |
as the box cars in Fig. 1
Since Cragstan imported both, I don't think it's likely that the Nomura set is a knock-off. The Distler box specifically states "made in Western Germany for Cragstan." I think Cragstan contracted with the German firm to make this toy, then took the dies and stampers back and shifted production to Japan.
|Fig. 3: The Distler Santa Fe passenger set.|
|The Distler set. The Nomura versions have a "TN" logo|
in place of the "Made in Western Germany," and the
number board is 2246 instead of 1234 on the locomotive.