Monday, October 14, 2013

Diabelli Project 015 - 2-Part Invention

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

 Last week's entry was quite long -- and this week's is quite short. Although only three measures, there's enough there to give you a general idea where I was going. I was trying to write something in the Dorian mode, which is why there's no B-flat in the key signature to go with that D minor opening triad. Modes can be a little tricky, because they don't have the strong harmonic sense of direction that major and minor scales do.

So one must resort to other means.  In the third measure I was beginning some suspensions, which -- when resolved -- would have a strong sense of arrival.


What would you do with this idea? Keep in the Dorian mode? Modulate the tonal center, or perhaps to another mode -- or both? If inspiration strikes you and you finish this sketch, let me know! I'm not sure how this one turns out myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment