Monday, March 30, 2015

Diabelli Project 084 - Quintet for Clarinet and Strings

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

In this week's flash composition sketch, I seem to have channeled Weber. I had recently aired Weber's Clarinet Quintet, Op. 34 on my radio program, so perhaps it's not surprising that I would spontaneously sketch one out. The sketch seems to have some of the transparency of a classical period work. The string parts aren't especially hard, and the ensemble is lightly scored.

Of course, there are other non-classical period elements -- like the 3/4 bar and the actual intervals found in those harmonies. But still, kind of a light showpiece by nature. (click on image to enlarge)



So what happens next? This looks like a score I'll revisit later on, but don't let that stop you. As with all the Diabelli Project sketches, you're free to use any of the material in your own work -- jsut let me know the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment