Monday, April 20, 2015

Diabelli Project 087 - Violin Duet

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

I've written for two stringed instruments before in this series, but in the past I've paired the violin with a contrasting instrument, such as the viola (see: Diabelli Project 073) or the cello (see: Diabelli Project 057). When I started the sketch, I had another violin/viola duo in mind, but as it progressed, the viola part kept going higher and higher -- and so it's now a piece for two violins.

That's one of the things I find exciting thing about flash composition. I can sometimes surprise myself as the music takes over and goes where it will (rather than where I think it should).  (click on image to enlarge)


So what happens next? That's up to you. As will all the Diabelli Project sketches, I make this available to any and all who'd like to use all or part of it in their own work. No payment or permission necessary -- just share your results with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment